About Sands McKinley
Sands is the founder of McKinley Irvin. Together with his co-founder and partners, he has built a firm of outstanding lawyers, staff, and service delivery models – all focused on delivering personalized client service and excellent legal results in every client relationship.
Sands began practicing law in 1991. In 1999, he retired from active law practice to focus on the firm’s strategic plan, growth, and developing a strong management team. Since that time, McKinley Irvin has established itself as the largest family law firm in the Pacific Northwest, and one of the largest in the U.S. More importantly, McKinley Irvin has distinguished itself by the quality of its lawyers, and by the high level of service and results provided to clients.
In 2020, the firm’s co-founder, Rita Herrera Irvin, replaced Sands and now leads the firm. Sands now focuses his time pursuing opportunities to help solve problems for law firms and their clients.Next >>
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law
- B.A., Political Science and Legal Studies, Pacific Lutheran University
Publications & Presentations
- Sands McKinley, Editorial: Response to Supreme Court, (2007)
- Sands McKinley, Collaborative Law: What You Need to Know Now, (2007)
- Sands McKinley, "OK, You Get the House, But I Get the Tupperware!" THE LAWBOOK special section of the Eastside Journal, Redmond Reporter, Mercer Island Reporter, and Bothell/Kenmore Reporter, (2002)
In the Media
- "Working harder on Tacoma relationship," The News Tribune, April 1, 2011
- "Seattle Law," Puget Sound Business Journal, January 28, 2011
- " Ending a Marriage and Preserving a Partnership," Puget Sound Business Journal, August 24, 2007.
- Listen to Sands McKinley's interview with Don Riggs on the 94.1 KMPS Introspect Northwest Show, July 8, 2007.
- " Divorce and Business, Avoid the Pitfalls when a Marriage Crumbles," Puget Sound Business Journal, March 23, 2007.
- Listen to an interview with Sands McKinley on the Rolonda radio show, July 6, 2007.
- Sands McKinley was a featured guest on the Bob Pittman radio show, Legal Line on Talk 770, KTTH to discuss important tips to consider before marriage, July 1, 2007.
- Sands McKinley was a featured guest on the Rolonda radio show at 10:20 a.m. to discuss cutting edge social and legal issues concerning the American family, June 11, 2007.