Portland Child Relocation Attorney

Relocating with Children After a Divorce

When a custodial parent wishes to relocate out of the county or the state, or any distance that would strain the other parent's rights to child custody or visitation, the relocation may be difficult without the help of a divorce attorney.

One of our experienced family lawyers will be able to help you modify your court order so that you can move away with your child. Or, if the other parent is the one wishing to relocate with your child, we can advise you on preventing the relocation.

Can you Relocate with Your Child?

McKinley Irvin has represented a number of parents in relocation cases.

The need for relocation can arise due to:

  • Employment, such as a new job or a better job offer
  • Educational opportunities
  • Health issues
  • Being closer to family/friends for support

When a parent wants to relocate, you must negotiate a new parenting plan or have the court order modified by a family law judge, otherwise you may be violating the other parent's custody or visitation rights. You will need to prove that your relocation is necessary and that it is in the best interests of your child, which our firm can help you do.

Consult a Portland Divorce & Family Law Attorney Today

At McKinley Irvin, we want nothing more than to help you move on to a better, more successful, happier life after your divorce. In many cases, your success is best served in another state or country. Our family lawyers know the laws and court procedures involved in relocation cases and can get the results that you need.

We invite you to contact our firm to discuss your situation and learn how we can help you with your relocation matter.

  • Best Law Firm
  • Best Lawyers
  • Super Lawyers
  • AV Preeminent
  • Avvo Rating 10.0
  • American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers