Same-Sex Marriage, Parenting and Divorce in Washington State Released
Washington’s Largest Family Law Firm’s Guide Helps Same-Sex Couples Navigate the Changing Family Law Landscape
SEATTLE – July 23, 2013 – In an effort to provide up-to-date information and guidance for same-sex couples and families in Washington State, and in response to the recent Supreme Court decisions surrounding marriage equality, McKinley Irvin, the leading Pacific Northwest family law firm, has published a Comprehensive Legal Guide to Same-Sex Marriage, Parenting and Divorce.
McKinley Irvin’s guide provides an easy-to-understand, comprehensive look into the new and emerging issues that same-sex couples now face, including:
- What legal rights are same-sex couples in Washington granted?
- How can a same-sex couple establish and protect their legal rights as a family in Washington?
- How are a same-sex couple’s legal rights impacted when moving or traveling to a state that doesn’t recognize same-sex marriage?
- How should a non-biological parent establish a legal relationship with their child?
- What does it mean now that the Federal Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) has been found unconstitutional?
- What do same-sex couples need to know about divorce?
As a family law firm and leader in LGBT Family Law, McKinley Irvin has years of experience providing counsel to same-sex couples in the areas of marriage, domestic partnerships, divorce, custody, estate planning, assisted reproduction, and relationship agreements.
“Same-sex couples have the same aspirations and face the same issues as heterosexual couples. Many want to marry, become parents, and establish a home together,” said Sands McKinley, founder of McKinley Irvin. “Unfortunately the patchwork of legal recognition creates a complex world for same-sex couples. We developed this guide to help educate and empower same-sex couples in Washington to make the best choices for their lives.”
The Comprehensive Legal Guide to Same-Sex Marriage, Parenting & Divorce in Washington Stateis available free to the public in its entirety online with chapters covering the:
- History of Marriage Equality in Washington State
- Ongoing Legal Issues for Same-Sex Couples
- LGBT Parental Rights & Adoption
- The Impact of Federal Laws & DOMA on Gay Marriage
- Divorce for Same-Sex Couples and more.
McKinley Irvin proudly serves same-sex families in Washington State and Oregon with offices in Seattle, Bellevue, Tacoma, Puyallup, Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR.
ABOUT MCKINLEY IRVIN
Founded in 1991, McKinley Irvin is the Pacific Northwest’s largest law firm focusing exclusively on the practice of family law. McKinley Irvin is known for their effective legal representation and compassionate client service, representing clients in family law matters including divorce (dissolution), child custody, child support, relocation, parenting plan and child support modifications, international family law, domestic partnerships, and other family law practice areas. For more information, visit www.mckinleyirvin.com.