Portland Paternity Attorney
The Importance of Establishing Paternity
Paternity actions are generally filed by unmarried fathers or mothers who need to fight for their rights regarding their children. Parents can only have legal rights to child support and custody if their parentage has been established.
Benefits of establishing paternity can include:
- Custody and visitation - You will be able to request custody or visitation rights so you are able to spend time with your child.
- Financial benefits - In addition to child support, your child can also benefit through social security benefits, life insurance, pension, and inheritance rights in the event of your passing.
- Medical history and access - Your child will be able to access medical history from both the mother and father in order to better understand their own genetic history.
- Father-child relationship - Your active participation in your child's life can contribute to healthy development and a strong parental bond.
McKinley Irvin has helped numerous clients to initiate paternity actions and to prove the father of a child, giving them the right to fight for custody, visitation, or support. We have also helped men who were wrongfully labeled the father of a child. Each paternity lawyer with our family law firm has the knowledge and experience to handle your case and to get results.
How to Establish Paternity in Oregon
Paternity can be established in one of several ways.
- Voluntary acknowledgment: If the mother and father both acknowledge paternity, both will sign the child's birth certificate in the hospital after the child is born. If this is not done, a request can be made to amend the birth certificate later on so that the father's name and signature can be added.
- Through the Courts: If there is a dispute, paternity can also be established through a court order or DNA/paternity testing.
Mothers may try to fight the father's paternity action if she doesn't want him involved in her or her child's life. Fathers can also avoid taking responsibility for a child by refusing to admit paternity. If you are in either of these situations and need to take action to establish paternity, McKinley Irvin can help. Our fathers' rights lawyers know the law and every step of the process that you will need to take in order to establish paternity and protect your legal rights as a parent.
Find a Family Lawyer in Portland
As a premier family law firm in Portland, McKinley Irvin has a proven record of success in all family law matters, including paternity. Our team consists of some of the top family law attorneys in the state and focuses on personalized service and relentless representation.
For more information on paternity-related matters, we invite you to contact us to request a consultation.