6 Specific Qualities to Look For In a Divorce Lawyer
One of the most important tools that you can have on your side in a divorce or family law case is a seasoned divorce attorney. You want a legal professional that will take the time to advocate on your behalf in the most reasonable and ethical way possible. Since your attorney will be your representative, you want to maintain open, honest, and clear lines of communication with them throughout the process.
What do I look for when hiring an attorney?
There are many attorneys across Oregon that you can choose to protect your legal rights. But just because someone is licensed to practice family law does not mean that they are the best option for you. During these daunting times, you may feel like picking the first attorney you find. However, you should keep in mind that this person will be representing you over several months and needs to be someone that you are completely comfortable trusting.
When choosing a divorce attorney, make sure they have the following crucial qualities:
- Experience. Make sure the attorney you choose has handled cases like yours. The more that they are prepared to handle, the better the overall experience will be. You can also check to make sure they have a good track record and are currently qualified to practice family law.
- Communication ability. You will have concerns and questions that arise during the process, and you must be able to access your attorney for counsel. In addition, they must keep you updated on what is happening with your case through clear communication.
- Affordability. Sometimes, quality is truly measured with price. The cheapest attorney may not provide all the services you need. Conversely, an attorney that charges exorbitantly high fees may not be honest or is simply overcharging.
- Accessibility. You attorney is likely handling more than one case at a time, but they still need to devote the appropriate amount of time to your case. This may mean delegating tasks to others in the event of an emergency.
- Proven qualifications. Knowing where your attorney went to school, what their licenses are, and professional accreditations and memberships can ensure high-quality representation.
- Composure. The way your attorney carries themselves inside and outside of the courtroom can have an outcome on the case. Being calm, cool, and collected at all times can go a long way.
Finding an attorney to handle your sensitive divorce can be stressful. Our firm understands that. The legal team at McKinley Irvin holds ourselves to the highest standard of care and can advocate for you every step of the way. Contact our Oregon offices to schedule a consultation.