Portland Collaborative Divorce Attorney
An Alternative Divorce Process
Collaborative divorce is a form of alternative dispute resolution, which involves a process designed to achieve agreement on every aspect of a divorce settlement without involving the court. The two parties each retain their own Portland divorce attorney and will sit down together with counsel and other experts to work out their divorce agreement. Neither party is represented; instead, they have an attorney to advise and guide them through the process of drafting a divorce agreement.
If you would like to learn more about whether the collaborative divorce process is right for you, contact our divorce law team.
Collaborative Law Process
Here is what the typical collaborative law process looks like:
- Client-Attorney Meetings. Each party meets with his/her own attorney to discuss their goals and what they hope to achieve
- Attorney Meetings. Each party's attorney meets to discuss what needs to be resolved in upcoming meetings
- Team Meetings. The first meeting is scheduled with each spouse and their attorneys. Some meetings may include neutral professionals such as accountants, custody specialists, or a licensed mediator. Meetings continue until an agreement is reached that both parties agree on terms of the divorce.
- Agreement and Judgment. Once an agreement is reached, a judgment is drafted and filed with the court.
Benefits of Collaborative Divorce
Choosing the route of collaborative divorce offers many benefits.
- Typically more amicable and less stressful than contested divorce cases because parties work together to reach an agreement.
- Can be accomplished on the client's own schedule.
- All matters, including everything from property division to child custody and child support, are resolved by communication and mutual agreement and a legal divorce settlement is drafted from those decisions.
- Issues are resolved privately rather than in a public divorce
- Less costly than litigation
The collaborative divorce process is not right for every situation, but it can be a less stressful and more respectful option for couples who are looking for a more personal, amicable divorce.
Contact Our Portland Divorce Lawyers
McKinley Irvin can provide the counsel that you need in a collaborative divorce. McKinley Irvin is a premier family law firm serving Portland, Oregon and Vancouver, Washington.
If you are interested in learning if the collaborative divorce process is a good option for you, please contact us to schedule a consultation to speak with an attorney.