About Jeffrey Matthews
Partner Jeff Matthews is a veteran family lawyer who has practiced family law in Oregon for over 30 years. He has distinguished himself as one of Portland’s most respected divorce and family law attorneys with his leadership, professionalism, and interdisciplinary approach to family law. Jeff is a longtime Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and the immediate past president of the AAML Oregon chapter.
Jeff focuses his practice on financially complex divorce cases that include the valuation and protection of estates with high net worth, business interests, and other property distribution issues. He is also skilled with high conflict custody litigation. Before joining McKinley Irvin, Jeff was a shareholder at Yates Matthews Family Law for 17 years and previously was a partner at the Portland family law firm Gevurtz Menashe.
As a family law attorney, Jeff views his role with his clients as twofold. First, he serves as a guide through a huge life transition, seeing them through to the next chapter of their lives as whole as possible. Second, he is his client’s zealous advocate, committed to protecting what they value most.
"My approach with clients is to provide them with the best outcome we can achieve in their particular situation, says Jeff. "I listen and learn what their goals are, so I can provide informed and concrete advice on their situation that leads to a positive resolution."
Jeff chose to focus his practice on family law because he is "drawn to people and their life stories. I’m fulfilled by helping clients and their families, where every case is different and presents unique challenges to tackle."
He has earned a reputation in the legal community as a successful advocate by focusing first on cooperative communication with the opposing party and their counsel. Jeff knows that this approach often results in a quicker and less costly legal process. When necessary, however, he is no stranger to the courtroom, having represented clients in over 100 trials and hearings over the years of his practice.
Jeff is committed to the community and has served with a number of non-profit organizations that aid those in need. In 1997 Jeff founded Oregon Lawyers Against Hunger which over the years has now raised over $1 million for Oregon Food Bank. When he’s not working, Jeff loves the outdoors, often accompanied by his dogs – Chester, a Golden Retriever and Amos Lee, a Bernese Mountain Dog. He very much enjoys literature and music; has completed seven marathons; barbeques in the rain and is an uncompromising Ducks fan.Next >>
- President, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), Oregon Chapter, 2014 - 2018
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, President-Elect of the Oregon Chapter, 2013
- Past President and Board Member, Multnomah Bar Foundation, 2005-2007
- Past Secretary and Board Member, Multnomah Bar Association, 2001-2005
- Chair, Multnomah Bar Association CLE Committee
- Oregon State Bar
- Multnomah County Bar Association
- Washington County Bar Association
- Clackamas County Bar Association
In the Community
- Oregon Lawyers Against Hunger, Founder
- Oregon Food Bank, Advocacy Committee
- Portland Children’s Relief Nursery, Board of Directors, 2008-2012
- Oregon Food Bank, Board Member, 1999-2004
- Northwest Housing Alternatives, Board Member and past Vice President, 1999-2004
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law
- B.A., University of Oregon
- “Retirement Benefits,” Oregon State Bar, Family Law CLE Publication, 1989 and 1997 Editions
- “Family Law in Oregon” (Two separate presentations) National Business Institute
- “Bankruptcy in Family Law” Oregon State Bar’s Debtor/Creditor Section
- “Effective Cost Management in Divorce Cases” Oregon Law Institute
- “Family Law Mediation” Panel Presentation, Oregon State Bar ADR Section
- “Attorney Fees in Family Law Cases” Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
- “Ethics in Family Law” Oregon Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers